Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Ten years ago I was alerted to the current apostacy, when the "Toronto Blessing" overtook a congregation that I had previously attended in the Okanagan. Through the need to research it, to give answers to a friend that I had been discipling there, I came to the early conclusion that it was a terrible but temporary fad that was affecting Charismatic churches. But, in the intervening ten years I have come to see that rather than merely a (foolish and disgraceful) fad, it had become the catalyst for the launching of the apostate Church, with tentacles now reaching (behind the scenes) into even normally conservative churches in our own city of Abbotsford. So... who am I? I guess you might call me a reluctant watchman. I bring you this information not because I am a prophet or teacher, but because by the providence of God I have been made aware of a scheme of the evil one, and it behooves me to warn my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Monday, March 20, 2006

8. I am about to put another sacred cow into the meat grinder. Please don't think I do this gleefully, I am no stranger to the pain (and denial) that comes from having a much cherished person or institution fall into apostacy.

Trinity Western University has fallen into the liberal trap of higher criticsm. A REQUIRED COURSE for any student who wishes a degree from TWU is their New Testament course.
The text for this course is Bart D. Ehrman's book, The New Testament. A Historic Introduction to the Early Christian Writings. (3rd Edition)

I strongly urge you before you send any of your young people to TWU, that you go to the TWU on campus library (the back section where they sell their textbooks) and pull this off the shelf, sit down and browse through it.

I'll share one opening paragraph from the book (chapter 3), to give you a taste of what you will be encountering.

WHAT TO EXPECT
People who read the New Testament Gospels today generally assume that those books tell stories about Jesus simply as they happened. But is that true? None of those writers claims to be an eyewitness. And they wrote their accounts decades after the fact in a different language (Greek) fromt the one Jesus spoke (Aramaic).
Were did these writers get their stories? Did they simply drop out of the sky? Were they passed down by stenographers who followed Jesus and recorded everything he said and did? Did they come from notes taken by his disciples on their journeys? From somewhere else?
This chapter will argue that the Gospels ultimately go back to oral traditions -- that is, stories about Jesus told by word of mouth, year after year after year, in different times and places, mainly by people who had not been there to see any of these things happen. Moreover, it will maintain that stories like this tend to change in the process of retelling over time, with some stories actually being made up.
Did this happen with the traditions about Jesus? (emphasis mine)

I met with one of the professors who is teaching this course (Mr. Hatina), the dean of the department (Mr. Burkinshaw) and the chair of the department (Mr. Abegg). I had gone to them in the hopes that this book was going to be used by them to prepare the youth against such an onslaught of liberalism. However, I was greatly dissapointed to find that the professor and the chair were committed to this view of the Scriptures (as represented by Ehrman's book) and though it appeared that the dean of the department was NOT of such a persuasion, he indicated that he felt comfortable in their comradeship and trusted them (a serious dereliction of duty both to God and to the integrity of the university).

This from a university that has already embraced evolution by several of it's faculty in the science department and teaches psychology and Renovare (Catholic mysticism) in it's counseling department.

I think that John McArthur's Master's University in sunny California would be a welcome alternative for our youth. (even though I am not personally a Calvinist -it is where I would recommend my own).

In His service, A. Berean